Friday, May 1, 2020

The God of My Salvation


Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the Lord!  I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! (Habakkuk 3:17-18 NLT)

The Prophet Habakkuk
If the Prophet Habakkuk had written his thoughts today in the Coronavirus Pandemic, he might have said that the shops and restaurants are empty as the crops lie rotting in the fields.  Or the factories and offices remain silent as millions are out of work. Fear and anxiety haunt our people.  If this scourge happens to touch my person or provision, I wonder if I will respond like Habakkuk did?

The Prophet painted a pretty bleak picture in the early part of this book (Ch.1.2).  He even complained a bit (Ch.1.13).  Nonetheless, Habakkuk got perspective. By listening instead of talking, he saw the big picture (Ch.2.1).  He started to look at his present circumstances with the backdrop of God’s sovereign purposes (Ch.2.14).  By rationally and honestly evaluating his situation, he concluded that God always has a plan.  God may not have caused this pandemic, but he did allow it and he is a God that can bring light out of darkness.  God is still on the throne.

It is a trait of human nature to avoid problems rather than go through them.  The Bible says that “it rains on the just as well as the unjust” (Matthew 5:45).  What if this plague will bring sickness or economic disaster on me; how will I react?  I will not speculate on what I do not know. My hope is that, if necessary, I will be found rejoicing in the God of my salvation.

The image is used with permission by Microsoft.
















No comments:

Post a Comment