Wednesday, September 5, 2018

GPS and God's Positioning System

In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight. 
(Proverbs 3:6 NASB)

GPS, or Global Positioning System, is the mode of preference for finding directions.  God has his own way to direct our steps, God’s positioning system. Unlike GPS, God’s directions are always perfect. 

I had no idea which way to go!

Navigational Satellites
Recently, on my job, I found myself in a very rural area of Virginia.  Suddenly, I got a message on my phone that said that I was no longer connected to the server for my GPS.  I had apparently lost the signal from the cell tower which connected my phone to the server.  The GPS could no longer pick up the signal from the three satellites that pinpointed my location.  I had no idea how far to drive or when to turn left or right. Fortunately, I had a compass on the dashboard of my car. I had a vague idea of the direction of my next destination and navigated accordingly.  Eventually, my phone reestablished the connection, and I finally arrived at my destination. 

There are similarities and some significant differences in how GPS and God give us direction.   They are both based on faith. Using GPS, when I leave in the morning I don’t really know where I am going, other than an unknown address. When I reach my objective, I don’t really know where I am. When I arrive back home, I do not know where I have been, yet I do my job every day.  How? It’s by trusting my GPS.  It’s the same with God.  If we acknowledge him, by looking to and trusting him, God has promised to guide our steps.

Conversely, the two are very different.  GPS gives us details of turns, distances, and times of our trip.  God’s leading generally gives us an initial direction, the turns are not made know to us until we arrive at them, and due to things that God is trying to do in our lives along the way, the time of arrival is often significantly underestimated.

The last difference is the most significant.  Unlike GPS, which is not perfect and sometimes gets confused, God never does.  Though at times it does seem like we are disconnected, God is always there.  Are you acknowledging God in all your ways? Then expect him to guide your steps.

Image used with permission by Microsoft.

Ken Barnes the author of “The Chicken Farm and Other Sacred Places”  YWAM Publishing
Email:  
kenbarnes737@gmail.com
website: 
https://sites.google.com/site/kenbarnesbooksite/
            http://gleanings757.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment