Thursday, October 29, 2015

Why Not Me?

My God, my God, why have you abandoned me? Why are you so far away when I groan for help? (Psalms  22:1 NLT)

         Life’s experiences can sometime cause us to cry out like David did.  These emotions if unabated can lead us to start to doubt the character of God.  In the midst of heart wrenching circumstances, some cry out why me, and others say, why not me?
         The Bible says, The Lord is just in all his ways, and kind in all his doings (Psalms 145:17 NRSV).  God is good, just, and kind. These are character traits of our eternal God.  Nothing that happens to us ever changes these attributes.  One of the favorite sayings of a missionary friend of mine is, “Never judge God by your circumstances, but judge your circumstances according to the character of God.”  A good God allows bad things to happen to good people.   But in the midst of heartache and pain our heavenly Father is always choosing our highest good.
         Grace is God’s unmerited favor.  It has been said that we only appreciate what we have after we have lost it.  God in his sovereign will sometimes withdraws a measure of grace and things happen.  I have often said that God could send a bolt of lightning and destroy me and not have to apologize to my family and friends. I would have gotten only what I deserved.  I don’t pray much for justice any more because I am afraid I might get it.  In the future when tempted to say, why me God, I hope my reply is, why not me Lord.



Ken Barnes, the author of “The Chicken Farm and Other Sacred Places”  YWAM Publishing
Email:  kenbarnes737@gmail.com
website: https://sites.google.com/site/kenbarnesbooksite/
             http://gleanings757.blogspot.com


        

No comments:

Post a Comment